Bonny Top by Tin Can Knits

vid 010

Have you ever had a plan go wrong?  My vision was to knit this Bonny Top from Tin Can Knits out of this beautiful silk lace weight yarn from String Theory and to wear it over my Simone Dress from Victory Patterns (more on that later). However, the cowl neck of this top and the front pleats of the dress did not play well together. So, I wore the dress by itself and now I have nothing to put with this top.

As you can see, it is pretty translucent so it will need a layer underneath. As soon as I figure out what that layer should be, I will post proper photos. Until then, enjoy the lovely watercolor look of this stunning yarn! I bought this yarn a while ago and I see that String Theory doesn’t offer a silk lace weight yarn currently, but ANY of their yarns are treasures. Happy knitting.

Advertisements

Plantain Success

vid 011After several unsuccessful attempts at Deer and Doe’s Plantain T-shirt, I was given some very helpful advice on a Ravelry forum about sewing.  The advice was to cut the size for my high bust measurement, and then do a full bust adjustment to compensate for my small shoulder: bust ratio. I think it worked out rather well! The fabric is an organic cotton knit from Hawthorne Threads and it is soooo soft and easy to work with, I would recommend it.  The next time I make this top, I think I will take a little out of the side seams from about halfway down. It has a little more swing to it than I want in an everyday T-shirt, but for this version, it is okay. Happy Sewing!

 

vid 012

Make 2 Along Outfit #2

vid 009

This is my second complete outfit inspired by the Tiny Paper Foxes video podcast Make 2 Along. I sewed the skirt from some Cotton and Steel fabric and the top is the Imogen Tee from Carrie Bostick Hoge knit from Madeline Tosh Merino Light in the Cobalt (I think) colorway.

I have made this skirt before, Simplicity something, and it comes together easily. I lined it with some beige lining from Mood.com so that I could wear it over tights without it clinging.

I shortened the top a little bit based on my measurements and made sure that the side increases and decreases started where I increased and decreased because I am shorter in the torso than the pattern allows. I knit the size 36 for the shoulders and the size 38 everywhere else and it fits really well. This seems to be the trick to make tops fit me, to make a 36 in the shoulders and grade up to a 38 for rest of the top. Someone from the Tiny Paper Foxes Ravelry group suggested this, and it has worked like  a charm with knitting and sewing!

It has been too chilly here to model this warm weather outfit, but it looks nice on my clothes line. Happy knitting and sewing.

Marlborough Bra by Orange Lingerie

My previous bra makes have all been soft bras, and while they fit well and are comfortable, I don’t really wear them that much. I wear store bought underwire bras every day, so I thought I would try the Marlborough Bra from Orange Lingerie.

Based on my measurements, I cut a size 38B to test the pattern fit. As you can see in the top bra, it was way too small. Too small to even finish, which is a shame because it is really pretty. The teal mesh bra on the bottom is a 40C, with a pinch taken out of the side of the power bar and a softened lower cup curve.  The fit is pretty good, except for a little too much fullness in the upper cut. This, however, could be due to the fact that I used mesh and just doubled it to get a clean edge instead of using lace stabilized with clear elastic as the pattern calls for.

While this bra looks quite pretty laid flat, I think it looks very matronly on. I will make at least one more version, with lace, and see if I like the look better, but my heart is already set on trying the Boylston Bra, which looks a little more like my ready to wear bras.